You most likely have seen this by now. A football fan letting their emotions run wild and then the absurdly inexplicable occurs:
As a writer of satire posts, this incident just had to be made fun of. So my first post of 2014 is coined the “Sooner Fraternity Belly Flop.”
First off, I am a Sooner fan, I know many fellow Sooner fans can get unruly and even rude at times, as almost any team’s fans can. If the bantering gets out of hand, bad things can and do happen. I’ve seen a few things in my days while attending sports games, but none like this.
You know how divers in the Olympics are given points for difficulty and style? Well, this lady is about to capture the Gold Medal of College Football Diving. Let’s analyze this dive. The Sooner Fraternity Belly Flop already has a 9.0 difficulty, but what did the diver do to earn another .95 points, here they are:
- Boots – dives are hard enough barefoot, add boots and you get .10 extra. If they had just been a little more stylish, another .05 may have been awarded. Sing along time: “These boots were made for stomping, romping over OU – these boots were made for diving, diving on top of you!”
- Scarf – impeding a divers vision never goes well. So another .10 was awarded as the diver hit her mark perfectly. If you are going to dive for the camera and a bazillion smartphone cameras, do it in style.
- Two Row and Section Launching Platform – yes, .50 was awarded for launching herself from another section and two rows above. She even got past her husband – I’m impressed!!
- Mid Air Fight Song – another.10 was awarded for singing the Bama fight song while in the air. Rooooollllll Tide!
- Inebriation – All of this was difficult enough, but add a few beers and still managing to do all of this garnered our admiration and another .05. More points would have been awarded except it’s just way too common at these events.
- Fraternity Demolition – she has proved her courage by demolishing an entire OU Fraternity with her flop. Usually it takes 2-3 kegs to accomplish such a feat, so another .05 was awarded.
- Final Kick Out – to end the dive she demonstrated the final kick(s) to land that perfect flop – .10 difficulty points.
In all sincerity, I am glad no one was hurt, except their pride. We are human, we make mistakes, some we regret for the rest of our lives. Each incident is a learning moment. What we learn and how we mature from it is what defines us as “adults.” Bama demonstrated heart and determination and can hang, along with all their classy fans, their heads high and look forward to another great season.
My father played on the 47 straight teams of the 1950’s. Football was a way to get an education, not a football career. I brought out his 1955 and 1956 National Championship Trophies and sat them before the TV, danced a MOJO dance, which I am sure was the catalyst for our victory. So you can thank me later. No diving necessary.
I have grown to accept defeat with grace, because in the great scheme of life, it is still just a game.
Except when the #$%^#$ linebacker misses the @#$%$ tackle. Get your #$## head back in the #$%$%$ game! I digress as usual.
Congratulations to Alabama on a great season and run at dominance. I hope my Sooners are back and we meet in 2015. I may even practice my dives in the meantime. No one should have all the glory and YouTube hits.
Absurd? OU bet it is!