I am a CPA. Today is April 5th and the 15th is nearing. Tax season is chaos, but it would be a disaster if my Colombian Supremo coffee supply ran out. I can only imagine the deductions I’d let people get away with if caffeine wasn’t flowing through my veins. Here’s an actual list of tax benefits and deductions people have asked if they could claim:
- Pets as dependents. Yes dogs, cats, goldfish, squirrels and others are dependent on your goodwill and care, but the gods in Congress have written laws that prevent such deductions. Although they have plenty deductions for their own pet projects. He who writes the laws controls the laws.
- Travel Motor Home. I had a lady one time demand I write off 100% of her motor home for conventions she attended selling makeup. I suggested she run for Congress. She has the same mindset as they do.
- Bass Boats and Lap Dances. You see, Bubbas entertain Bubba clients on Bubba Bass boats (wink wink). They also want to deduct the booze and the lap dances from Lola Arlene’s House of Pleasure. I believe these ex-clients are also members of Congress.
- Home Office. I had one client who wanted to deduct all the expenses of her home for watching a friends child. Just one child. She was paid for the service, but claiming an 80″ HDTV as a office expense seemed a little excessive. What do you think?
- Breast Pump. The mother of the child above also wanted to deduct her breast pump as a childcare expense.
I could go on and on, but this truly isn’t news to any of you. You probably already know someone who qualifies for the Earned Income Credit and drives a BMW M6 convertible and has enough bling on them to compete with Zales jewelers.
My point is that the income tax systems (Federal and State) requires I stay on my toes, with eyes wide open. Therefore my deduction of my Colombian Supremo bean supply, commercial grinder and brewer are an immediate and necessary business expense. Now if I could just find a way to deduct my wine and cellar maintenance expense.
Happy tax season taxpayers and fellow CPA’s. This is my 28th survival season. As for members of congress and politicians everywhere, may someone slip you a decaf. That’s coffee chaos I’d love to watch on C-SPASTIC.